Blackened Brussels Sprouts
May 07, 2017
This is a simple side dish that never fails to please. The sprouts are a great, hearty side dish, a simple snack, or can even be a component in other dishes.
Blanching the brussels sprouts removes the bitterness but if you want to simplify you can skip that step and bake for an additional 5 minutes.
- 2-3 pounds Brussels sprouts, with any wilted leaves removed and the bottom of the stem trimmed
- olive oil
- Preheat the oven to 450 degrees.
- Blanche the sprouts whole- put them in a stockpot and cover with water and bring to a boil.
- As soon as the water comes to a rolling boil, turn off the heat, drain the sprouts and run under cold water to cool.
- Cut each sprout in half and put in on a large baking pan. Sprinkle with olive oil and salt.
- Bake for 25 minutes at 450° F, or until the outer leaves are blackened and crispy.
Written by Will Chiong who lives and works in New York building useful things.