Chicken Tikka Masala
May 07, 2017
I love Chicken Tikka Masala and have found various versions of it for a slow cooker that I’ve adapted and tweaked from various original sources, including The New York Times, The Kitchn and SkinnyTaste.
- 2 pounds boneless skinless chicken thighs, cubed
- 1/2 cup yogurt
- 1 tablespoon kosher salt
- 1/2 tablespoon ghee or butter
- 1/2 onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon ginger, grated
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 Tablespoon garam masala
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin, ground
- 2 cardamom pods, whole
- 14 oz can tomatoes, diced
- 6 tablespoons heavy cream
- 2 tablespoons almonds, thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup cilantro
- If you have time, marinate the chicken in the yogurt with 1 teaspoon of salt overnight (at least 6 hours)
- Using your slow cooker's Sauté setting, Sauté the onions and garlic in a little olive oil until softened, then stir in the ginger, tomato paste, and spices until fragrant.
- Switch the Slow Cooker to High heat Slow Cook mode, and add the Marinated chicken and diced tomatoes. Stir well and let slow cook for 4 hours.
- After 4 hours, stir in the heavy cream, and let simmer on low for another 15 minutes to thicken. Stir in the almond slices.
- Serve over rice with fresh cilantro on top.
Written by Will Chiong who lives and works in New York building useful things.