September 30, 2018
Fårikål is the national dish of Norway, and is a very simple braised lamb dish served over cabbage. The seasoning is mostly from the whole peppercorns, but also benefits from a good amount of salt and dill in the braising broth. The Instant Pot makes this a super simple weeknight option, but if you don’t have a pressure cooker you can use about the same instructions and cook with a heavy covered lid for about 70 minutes.
- 2.5 pounds lamb meat cut into large pieces on the bone (shoulder, neck, or shank), chopped up
- 1 large cabbage
- 3 Tbsp. black peppercorns
- 2 Tbsp. butter
- 2 bay leaves
- 4 potatoes, quartered
- 1 Tbsp. dill
- Place the lamb pieces on the bottom of your Instant Pot liner, the fattiest side down.
- Cut the cabbage head into wedges and layer on top of the lamb.
- Sprinkle the peppercorns and a generous layer of salt over the cabbage and add water until the cabbage is just peeking out, about 6 cups. Add the pay leaves and dill.
- Press the "Stew" button on the Instant Pot and set the timer to 35 minutes.
- Quick release the pressure when the time is up. Serve the cabbage and lamb in a bowl, and top with a pat of butter.
Written by Will Chiong who lives and works in New York building useful things.