December 09, 2017
A chunky, spicy tomato sauce is the base for many different Italian dishes we cook. This is a fairly traditional Sicilian marinara sauce - there’s no butter or onions in the sauce itself and the result is a bright tomato sauce with lots of flavor.
This sauce is a base ingredient in a lot of my other dishes including:
- 2 28 ounce cans tomatoes, crushed
- 4 ounces tomato paste
- 8 ounces tomato sauce
- 1 Tablespoon salt
- red pepper flakes
- 1 Tablespoon Basil, dried and minced
- 2 Tablespoons oregano
- 1 teaspooon garlic, minced
- olive oil
- Heat 1 Tablespoon olive oil in the slow cooker on saute mode.
- Brown the garlic.
- Add all other ingredients and switch the Instant Pot to Slow Cook mode. Let simmer for 6 hours on low heat. Taste about halfway through to adjust seasoning.
Written by Will Chiong who lives and works in New York building useful things.