January 30, 2019
Mashed cauliflower is a healthy alternative to mashed potatoes and using an Instant Pot steam function, or a regular stovetop steaming insert, it can be actually much faster to make.
- 2 heads Cauliflower, roughly chopped with green leaves removed
- 4 garlic cloves, peeled
- 3 Tablespoons butter
- Potato Ricer
- Place the chopped cauliflower and garlic cloves in a steamer basket.
- Add 2 cups of cooking liquid to the bottom of the Instant Pot or stock pot. This can be water or chicken stock.
- If using an Instant Pot, seal the lid and set the pot to cook for 3 minutes at high pressure. If using a normal steamer boiler, allow to come up to a boil and lower the heat and steam for 10 minutes, until the cauliflower is fork tender and then remove from heat.
- Place the butter in a large mixing bowl.
- In small batches, transfer cauliflower and garlic out of the steamer basket into a potato ricer and mash directly onto the butter to melt it. Repeat until all of the cauliflower and garlic have been mashed in this process. If you don't have a ricer, you can just transfer directly to the bowl and mash with a potato masher or fork.
- Add a tablespoon of salt and a half tablespoon of pepper. Optionally you can add cheese or heavy cream to taste.
- Mix well to melt the butter and serve immediately.
Written by Will Chiong who lives and works in New York building useful things.