I like to make this meatball congee for a homestyle, easy to make meal that is great when it’s cold out or when you’re feeling under the weather.
The meat can be pork, chicken, or turkey.
I use a ratio of 6 or 7 parts liquid to 1 part rice when I make congee with brown rice. With white rice the ratio should be closer to 8:1.
- 6 servings
- 1 mins
- 1 hours 10 mins
- 1 hours 11 mins
- 1 cup uncooked short grain brown rice, cooked
- 4 cups water
- 2 cups chicken stock
- 2 tablespoons dried shrimp
- 2 tablespoons ginger, grated
- white pepper
- 2 Tbsp. sesame oil
- ground meat
- 5 oz. water chestnut, drained and chopped
- 3 stalks green onion, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup rice flour
- Combine the rice, dried shrimp, 1 tbsp. sesame oil, 1 tablespoon grated ginger, chicken stock, and water in the liner of the Instant Pot.
- Use the default "Porridge" setting of the Instant Pot for 50 minutes.
While this is cooking, combine the ground meat, diced water chestnut, rice flour, 1 tbsp. ginger, green onion, and 1 tbsp sesame oil in a bowl and mix well. Set aside and refridgerate while the Instant Pot porrige setting is finishing.
Let the pressure cooker naturally release when it completes its cycle. Remove the lid. The broth should still be slowly bubbling. Scoop up the meatball mixture in a long spoon and use a knife to segment it directly into the broth to form about 1" shaped meatballs.
- Stir occassionally until the meatballs are cooked through, approximately 10 minutes. Ladle into bowls and serve.