Instant Pot Meatball Congee
May 29, 2018
I like to make this meatball congee for a homestyle, easy to make meal that is great when it’s cold out or when you’re feeling under the weather.
The meat can be pork, chicken, or turkey.
I use a ratio of 6 or 7 parts liquid to 1 part rice when I make congee with brown rice. With white rice the ratio should be closer to 8:1.
- 1 cup uncooked short grain brown rice, cooked
- 4 cups water
- 2 cups chicken stock
- 2 tablespoons dried shrimp
- 2 tablespoons ginger, grated
- white pepper
- 2 Tbsp. sesame oil
- ground meat
- 5 oz. water chestnut, drained and chopped
- 3 stalks green onion, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup rice flour
- Combine the rice, dried shrimp, 1 tbsp. sesame oil, 1 tablespoon grated ginger, chicken stock, and water in the liner of the Instant Pot.
- Use the default "Porridge" setting of the Instant Pot for 50 minutes.
- While this is cooking, combine the ground meat, diced water chestnut, rice flour, 1 tbsp. ginger, green onion, and 1 tbsp sesame oil in a bowl and mix well. Set aside and refridgerate while the Instant Pot porrige setting is finishing.
- Let the pressure cooker naturally release when it completes its cycle. Remove the lid. The broth should still be slowly bubbling. Scoop up the meatball mixture in a long spoon and use a knife to segment it directly into the broth to form about 1" shaped meatballs.
- Stir occassionally until the meatballs are cooked through, approximately 10 minutes. Ladle into bowls and serve.
Written by Will Chiong who lives and works in New York building useful things.