How to cook white rice
June 07, 2020
In general, I use the following simple recipe to cook white rice.
- Using a Kitchen Scale weigh 75g of rice per person you are serving.
- Place the rice in a wide clay pot, or donabe.
- Rinse the rice three times until the water begins to run clear.
- Add a sprinkle of salt and a pat of butter, and add enough water to cover the top layer of rice by just a little bit, maybe half a centimeter.
- Bring the pot to a boil over high heat, stirring regularly. As soon as it comes to a rolling boil, reduce the heat to low and cover for 20 minutes.
- After that time, remove from heat and leave covered for another 5 minutes.
Recipes for white rice:
Congee can be made in the Instant Pot and can be made with meatballs for a savory dinner or lunch, but I also like to make it with a soft…
June 08, 2020
Hainanese Chicken Rice
Hainanese Chicken Rice is very similar to the Thai dish Khao Mun Gai. It’s a gently poached chicken with skin on the bone, and then the…
June 06, 2020
Hawaiian Garlic Shrimp with Green Beans
Shrimp in a light flour batter fried in a buttery garlic sauce yields a crispy and perfectly cooked seafood snack. The buttery sauce makes…
February 18, 2020
Sushi rice is prepared slightly differently than rice you eat as a side dish. First of all, sugar and vinegar will be added to make the rice…
September 12, 2019
Potato Fried Rice
Fried rice is an extremely flexible recipe that can accomodate many different types of meats and leftovers. I made this recipe with ground…
July 11, 2018
Kiam Chai (Pickled Mustard Greens) Soup
This is a great homestyle chinese recipe that can use any leftover poultry bones. The mustard greens provide a great texture and crunch and…
June 26, 2018
Kyaukswe thoke (Burmese mixed rainbow salad)
My favorite traditional burmese salad is called Kyaukswe Lethoke, literally translated to “Noodles mixed with your hands”. The salad calls…
June 25, 2018
Stir-fried shrimp with green beans
This is a healthy and simple stir-fry recipe my Mom used to make. You can make it with any variety of shrimp, including baby shrimp or…
June 02, 2018
Written by Will Chiong who lives and works in New York building useful things.