July 08, 2019
This is a low-carb, flavorful, healthy dish that can be made quickly for a weeknight dinner. It pairs great with almost any vegetable side, like blanched sugar snap peas, steamed broccoli, or okra.
- 2 8 ounce catfish fillets
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1/2 ounce of leaves cilantro
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 lime
- 1 Tbsp paprika
- 1 Tbsp cumin, ground
- 1 Tbsp dried thyme leaves
- 1 Tbsp cayenne pepper
- 1 Tbsp black pepper, ground
- Melt the butter in a ramekin in the microwave on low heat. Mix in the cilantro leaves, minced garlic, the juice of half the lime, and a pinch of salt. Transfer to the fridge or freezer to re-congeal.
- Mix the paprika, cumin, thyme, cayenne, black pepper, and a good amount of salt to make the blackened seasoning.
- Pat the catfish fillets dry and coat in the blackened seasoning on both sides.
- In a medium-high heated grill or cast iron skillet, heat a tablespoon of olive oil.
- Place the catfish fillets down on the grill. Grill for about 5 minutes, or until the visible part of the fish begins to turn white.
- Use a thin metal spatula to flip the fish carefully on to the other side, without displacing too much of the blackened seasoning.
- Grill for another 5-7 minutes, until the fish flesh begins to flake. Transfer to a plate.
- Top with the cilantro lime butter and serve with the remaining lime wedges.
Written by Will Chiong who lives and works in New York building useful things.