The Crispy Fried Egg
February 24, 2019
This is another of Frank Prisinzano’s simple cooking tricks he frequently demonstrates on his Instagram stories or his Tumblr. Unlike the soft buttery fried eggs you might see at your diner, he prepares a crispy fried egg with a crackly bubbly texture on the bottom. It is a great complement to a simple salad or pasta and adds another level of texture to an otherwise familiar dish.
I like to prepare it as pictured above, or sometimes over easy.
- vegetable oil
- Crack 1 or 2 eggs into a small bowl. Let them come up to room temperature if you're taking them right from the fridge.
- Heat a Cast Iron Skillet on medium heat for a minute.
- Add a good amount of vegetable oil, until there is about 1/8" of oil in the pan- it should begin to smoke.
- Carefully transfer the eggs from the bowl into the pan- it should immediately start to fry and crackle. Don't touch the egg and let the sides curdle for about 1 minute.
- Use a thin, flexible spatula to loosen the egg from the pan and transfer to a plate. Shower with salt and pepper and serve immediately.
This recipe was adapted from:
Written by Will Chiong who lives and works in New York building useful things.