Egg in a Hole
May 26, 2020
A simple slice of bread with an egg cracked in the middle is a quick single pan meal with a whimsical appeal. The center cut of bread can be dipped in the yolk, or you can add an interesting topping to it, sucn as a mashed avocado.
- 2 slices bread
- 2 egg
- 1 avocado (optional)
- 1 Tbsp butter
- Cast Iron Skillet
- Biscuit Cutter
- Heat the skillet on medium heat with 1 Tablespoon of butter in it.
- Cut the center of the bread slices out using a biscuit cutter or sharp knife.
- When the butter has melted and begins to sizzle, add the bread to the hot skillet and toast for 2 minutes.
- Crack an egg in the well of each large slice of bread and continue to cook for another 2 minutes.
- Use a flexible spatula to carefully flip the slices of bread with the egg inside and cook for another 2 minutes.
- If you have avocado, split it, and score one half with a sharp knife. Add some salt, pepper, and lemon juice and mix within the skin with a fork.
- Remove the egg and toast from the heat. You can turn the inside piece of bread into a mini-avocado toast by spreading with the mixed avocado and adding a sprinkle of sea salt.
This recipe was adapted from:
Written by Will Chiong who lives and works in New York building useful things.