Farfalle with Smoked Salmon and Cream Sauce
February 23, 2019
- 16 ounces farfalle pasta
- 8 ounces smoked salmon
- 1 shallot, minced
- 2 Tbsp. butter
- 8 ounces heavy cream
- 10 ounces peas, frozen
- 2 ounces brandy or white wine
- 4 ounces parmesan cheese
- black pepper
- lemon juice
- Boil the farfalle pasta according to the directions for "al dente" doneness.
- With 3 minutes left on the boil, add the frozen peas.
- Reserve a half cup of the pasta water and drain the peas and pasta.
- In the meantime you can start the cream sauce in a dutch oven. Melt the butter over medium heat and add the minced shallot. Stir for about 5 minutes until the shallot is translucent and fragrant.
- Add the brandy or white wine and let reduce for about 2 minutes.
- Add the heavy cream and lower the heat to medium-low.
- Score the smoked salmon with a sharp knife to cut it into small squares.
- Take the cream sauce off the heat and stir in the pasta, peas and smoked salmon. Add the reserved pasta water as necessary and stir to coat the pasta with the cream and peas.
- Serve immediately topped with black pepper, dill, and lemon juice to taste.
Written by Will Chiong who lives and works in New York building useful things.