Fried Garlic Chips and Garlic Oil
July 18, 2018
This recipe is for fried garlic chips, a garnish for many burmese dishes, and also produces a fragrant garlic oil which can be used as a dressing in many burmese salads and noodle dishes.
- Slice the garlic cloves into extremely thin slices. Pat dry with paper towels to remove any excess moisture.
- Put the garlic in a saucepan and cover with vegetable oil.
- Put the saucepan over medium heat. When the oil starts to bubble the garlic will start to change color. Stir once to flip the garlic as soon as it starts bubbling, about 2 minutes later.
- As soon as it is a golden brown, transfer to a paper towel with a slotted spoon.
- Drain the burned bits of garlic from the oil and reserve the garlic oil for use as a dressing or flavorful oil.
- Use the garlic chips to add flavor and texture to burmese noodle and salad dishes.
Written by Will Chiong who lives and works in New York building useful things.