Roast Asparagus with a Fried Egg
June 07, 2020
Asparagus and egg is a classic combination found in many cuisines. It’s a common staple in Japanese yakitori, and asparagus quiche is a standard southern dish.
This preparation is an italian classic that is great as a side dish or for a simple flavorful breakfast.
- 8 ounces asparagus, ends removed
- 2 egg
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 2 Tbsp butter
- Heat a tablespoon of butter in a cast iron skillet over medium heat.
- Toss the asparagus spears in the butter and continue to move for 5 minutes.
- Transfer roasted asparagus to a plate.
- Increase the heat under the skillet to high and add the other tablespoon of butter and 1 tablespoon of olive oil.
- Crack the eggs into the pan, separated slightly.
- After 2 minutes, place the crispy fried egg on top of the asparagus. Serve immediately, with toast to soak up any egg yolk.
- Add a thin layer of the meat sauce so the cheese is partially covered
This recipe was adapted from:
Written by Will Chiong who lives and works in New York building useful things.