How to cook brown rice
June 08, 2020
Brown rice can be tougher than white rice and takes longer to cook but is more nutritious and the toothiness can be great as the starch for a strong curry or stew.
In general, I use the following simple recipe to cook brown rice.
- Using a Kitchen Scale weigh 75g of rice per person you are serving.
- Place the rice in a wide clay pot, or donabe.
- Rinse the rice three times until the water begins to run clear.
- Add a sprinkle of salt and a pat of butter, and add 191 grams of water per serving to cover the top layer of rice by just a little bit, maybe a centimeter.
- Bring the pot to a boil over high heat, stirring regularly. As soon as it comes to a rolling boil, reduce the heat to low and cover for 55 minutes.
- After that time, remove from heat and leave covered for another 5 minutes.
Recipes for brown rice:
Poached Fish Curry over Zucchini
This is another of the recipes Mark Bittman published a simple guide to cooking fish in a variety of ways. While I’ve used cod in this…
September 28, 2018
How to cook Brown Rice in an Instant Pot
Even though the Instant Pot has a “Rice” function, it is not suitable for brown rice as it cooks at a lower temperature setting. I use these…
September 22, 2018
Beef and Broccoli
Beef and Broccoli is a staple “American Chinese” dish, and while it’s not terribly authentic, it is a quick and tasty dish that highlights…
July 07, 2018
Instant Pot Meatball Congee
I like to make this meatball congee for a homestyle, easy to make meal that is great when it’s cold out or when you’re feeling under the…
May 29, 2018
Kung Pao Chicken
One of my favorite Chinese dishes to cook is not terribly authentic, but is delicious, and easy to make. Kung Pao Chicken is a takeout…
February 03, 2018
Written by Will Chiong who lives and works in New York building useful things.